When did it get so cold? I am trying to fight off a cold which has lingered for the past few days and also has irritated my gut (I need to revisit my last post on gut health I think). So I’ve created this anti inflammatory soup in an attempt to give things a boost. It’s immune system boosting thanks to the garlic and also the beetroot, which helps with red blood cells. While the turmeric and ginger make it extra anti-inflammatory. Throw in some good fats in the form of coconut cream and the results are delicious.
1 raw beetroot (not the cooked kind if you can help it)
2 sticks of celery
1 sweet potato
1 tbsp. of turmeric
1 thumb sized piece of ginger, grated or chopped finely.
1 garlic clove chopped.
1 tablespoon of vegan bouillon powder (or a powdered stock cube that has no MSG, Gluten or dairy)
1 tablespoon of coconut cream or a dairy-free alternative (use fat free dairy free yoghurt for syn free)
- Wash and chop all the vegetables and place in boiling water. Then add the ginger, garlic, turmeric and bouillon powder.
- Once boiled, cover and simmer on a low heat and cook for 25 minutes.
- Once vegetables are soft, allow to cool for ten minutes.
- Add ingredients to your blender (I used my trusty nutribullet), alongside coconut cream/dairy free milk alternative to add creaminess (note coconut cream will make it extra creamy, milk alternatives will make it slightly thinner) and blend for 30 seconds.
- For an extra health kick sprinkle with protein Powder (I used my That’s Protein pumpkin/chia seed powder but you could also use flaxseed powder.)
- Serve with seed crackers or a hearty dose of gluten free bread!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and if you have any more soup recipes (they’re my addiction lately!) then share them below; I’d love some more to try!