Today is another gut based recipe since my last few gut health recipes have been so popular (I’ve popped a link to the two most popular ones below). It’s a time saving, economical recipe- since it packs a nutritional punch without the need for many ingredients at all. It’s also perfect for batch juicing- I made a few of these and froze them; storing them in mini milk bottles. It contains a range of ingredients to support your gut-from anti-inflammatory turmeric to probiotic boosting Sauerkraut (you can either buy raw sauerkraut from health food shops like I do or make your own- this guide explains how to do so)
It’s gentle enough that it shouldn’t cause any upset stomachs (since it contains no fibre) so it should suitable for those with IBD as well as other gut health issues such as IBS. You also only need a small amount to help your gut. This will make enough for one small bottle, which you can drink it all at once or divide it into several servings. I’d recommend starting slowly and drinking around a 1/4 of the bottle (especially if you’re new to sauerkraut) before you eat your breakfast.
I personally started by just having a few sips of this to check I could tolerate it and now I have about half a bottle at a time. I’ve noticed a real difference since drinking it; it really does settle my stomach down!
- -2 teaspoons of sauerkraut juice (The easiest way to do this is to buy raw sauerkraut and just use a teaspoon to extract the juice)
- -2 thumbnail size pieces of ginger.
- – 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- – A sprinkle of black pepper (omit if on AIP)
- -1/2-1 apple (depending on sweetness)
- Juice the ginger and apple. Using a whole apple will increase the sweetness while 1/2 will make the ginger more prominent.
- Pour into a container.
- Add the turmeric, black pepper and sauerkraut juice and stir.
- Keep in fridge for 1-2 days or refrigerate and defrost when needed.
If you liked this post, checkout my gut gut health smoothie recipe and digestive support smoothie recipe too! If you are new to the wonders I’ve sauerkraut, have a read of my guide to using sauerkraut for IBS and IBD. It really has helped my crohn’s symptoms when I have used it!